We are looking for a new team member to focus on building quantum optical hardware setups within a variety of research and development projects. Your role entails designing, building, testing, and documenting many of the quantum optics setups we need, while keeping alignment with other scientists and engineers on the team. You’ll be characterizing individual optical components – often at the quantum level – and integrating them into complex setups, requiring full system characterization. Electrical and Software engineers will support you and use your provided feedback to make the tools you need to get the job done. You’ll be responsible for setting up basic scripting for running long-term measurement setups (programmatically and automatically), and then helping software engineers reproduce your code in a robust fashion. The ideal candidate is looking to grow into new directions such as one of
- Systems engineering
- Leading and coordinating POC projects with industry partners and working with externals
- Overseeing manufacturing, building, and testing of devices and systems.
You are passionate about optics, photonics and technology and you want to contribute to new ground-breaking tech. You work independently, are a pro-active, hands-on-person, and you can adapt easily to rapidly changing priorities. Above all, you’re a team player, and excited to work in a mixed team of hardware engineers, software engineers, and scientists.
You are someone with,
- a MSc or PhD degree in a relevant field
- experience with research/development in quantum optical technologies (e.g. as a graduate student or a professional optics/photonics engineer), ideally in quantum communication
- expertise using fiber optics, photonic devices, fiber lasers, etc
- expertise using and characterizing EOMs, polarization optics, single photon detectors
- experience in running long-term stabilization of optical setups
- experience in building and debugging experimental quantum optics setups, especially ones combining RF signals
- understanding of electronics to effectively work together with electrical engineers and programmers.
- Experience with C++, Python and/or Rust
- Experienced with software engineering best practices (version control (git), documentation, code-reviews, etc.).
We expect that the successful applicant will not satisfy all the above points but has expertise in key areas and significant knowledge in most other areas.
Who is Q*Bird?
Q*Bird is developing the hardware and software to enable quantum connectivity. We invent, design, build, test, and produce systems for the next generation of secure communication: the quantum Internet. Our mission is to build quantum networking systems, support network building and work with industry and academia to accelerate the quantum Internet. Our devices combine developments on many fronts, from optical systems, high-end hardware platforms, robust embedded software, and new networking protocols. As such, our team is composed of experts with many different backgrounds in physics, engineering, software development, academic research, and industry experience. We’re motivated to solve hard problems and bring quantum to reality. And we’re proud to be working on projects that matter and bring value to our commercial, industry and government partners. Our dreams are ambitious. And our growing team desires talented, curious, motivated teammates to help make quantum networking systems real.
We are a start-up located in Delft, the Netherlands, in the Quantum Delft ecosystem, with close partnerships with QuTech, Quantum Delta Netherlands and other quantum companies.
What Q*Bird offers
- Target Starting Date: Flexible
- Full-Time Employment
- Monthly remuneration with competitive salaries
- Flexible working hours
- 32 days holiday allowance
- Travel and personal care and growth allowance
- Participation Plan
- Company-sponsored social events
- A young, energetic, fun, team of highly skilled physicists, engineers, and industry expects, with an open working culture
- An international team that places a value on equality and diversity, no matter the race, religion, background, gender, or any of the differences that give each of us that unique perspective to strengthen the team
- Plenty of room for new initiatives and new ideas, and a chance to develop yourself at the cutting-edge of technology.
- Opportunity to be part of the quantum revolution in a quantum start-up, and to build the next generation of digital infrastructure. Join us to create the Quantum Future!
How to apply?
To apply for the position or to learn more about the position, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org