We are looking for a new team member to take the lead in our quantum theory activities. Your role entails understanding and analyzing secure quantum communication protocols from academic papers, running calculations, and simulating those protocols, to guide the hardware and software developments of the team. The ability to develop your own protocols, as well as adjusting and improving on existing works would be highly appreciated as well. Overall, you’ll keep your work aligned with the direction and long-term needs of the team. Your simulations and calculations will likely be numerical optimizations and linear programs, broadly speaking in the domain of security proofs for quantum communication protocols. The best results will integrate into our software stacks and run on real hardware devices, and experienced software engineers will help implement your work. They’ll also support you with coding and provide feedback. You’ll become our in-house quantum-theorist and be responsible for finding the right academic papers, developing the right know-how, and creating the theoretic background and guideline for hardware and software developments.
You are passionate about quantum communications, quantum cryptography, and quantum networking and you want to contribute to new ground-breaking tech with your mathematic skills. You work independently, are a pro-active, hands-on-person, and you can adapt easily to rapidly changing priorities. Above all, you’re a team player, and excited to work in a mixed team of hardware engineers, software engineers, and scientists.
You are someone with,
- A Ph.D. in physics or mathematics, with an expertise in quantum communication
- ideally experienced with security proofs for quantum communication protocols
- Experience reading scientific papers, and implementing/simulating new published algorithms
- Experience writing code and running numerical calculations, especially in the domain of linear programs and optimizations.
- Experience with error correction codes, e.g. LDPC
- A willingness to discuss the architectures of your solutions, as well as then implementing them yourself.
- Experience in Python or Rust (ideally 3+ years),
- Experience in agile working methods
- Experience in software programming and development, including experience with best practices such as version control (git), documentation, and code-reviews, etc.
- Eligible to work in the EU.
We expect that the successful applicant will not satisfy all the above points, but has expertise in key areas and significant knowledge in most areas.
Who is Q*Bird?
Q*Bird is developing the hardware and software to enable quantum connectivity. We invent, design, build, test, and produce systems for the next generation of secure communication: the quantum Internet. Our mission is to build quantum networking systems, support network building and work with industry and academia to accelerate the quantum Internet. Our devices combine developments on many fronts, from optical systems, high-end hardware platforms, robust embedded software, and new networking protocols. As such, our team is composed of experts with many different backgrounds in physics, engineering, software development, academic research, and real industry experience. We’re motivated to solve hard problems and bring quantum to reality. And we’re proud to be working on projects that matter and bring value to our commercial, industry and government partners. Our dreams are ambitious. And our growing team desires talented, curious, motivated teammates to help make quantum networking systems real.
We are a start-up located in Delft, the Netherlands, in the Quantum Delft ecosystem, with close partnerships with QuTech, Quantum Delta Netherlands and other quantum companies.
What Q*Bird offers
- Starting Date: Flexible
- Full-Time Employment
- Monthly remuneration with competitive salaries
- Flexible working hours
- 32 days annual leave and holiday allowance
- Travel and personal care and growth allowance
- Participation Plan
- Company-sponsored social events
- A young, energetic, fun, team of highly skilled physicists, engineers, and industry expects, with an open working culture
- An international team that places a value on equality and diversity, no matter the race, religion, background, gender, or any of the differences that give each of us that unique perspective to strengthen the team
- Plenty of room for new initiatives and new ideas, and a chance to develop yourself at the cutting-edge of technology.
- Opportunity to be part of the quantum revolution in a quantum start-up, and to build the next generation of digital infrastructure. Join us to create the Quantum Future!
How to apply?
To apply for the position or to learn more about the position, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org